Sunday, August 19, 2007

Forming an Exploratory Committee?

I have done some crazy things in my life, some fun, some not. Most have not really paid off to my benefit. I was riding this week, feeling good when a light came on in my cranium. What about racing this year? I immediately said no, cant be done. But then again, what if? So I needed to make an executive decision, but I needed help.
I turned to my trusted advisor & president of my fan club, Edgar the Turtle, and asked him. His response was that we need to form an Exploratory Committee. What a novel concept! Now, I am not running for President, but this IS a big deal, and need outside counsel.
The Sherman Park Criterium in Chicago is coming up this Saturday. I won this race in the Pro, I, II category (My only pro category win ever) in 2004, then got creamed less than 20 hours later by a car. I raced it again in 2005, out of spite, and a commitment that I made to myself while on morphine in the hospital. I said that I was going to race it, even if I was in a wheelchair! I did finish, but paid dearly for weeks.
Well, I am not in a wheelchair, and have been training some. I am short about 5000 miles for the year at this time, but I think I can hang on for dear life, and at least finish the race.
I was riding w/ The Badger yesterday, and I mentioned that I had a thought. He was shocked that, well, I had a thought, but immediately turned to me and said "you're going to race, aren't you"?
I said I was thinking about it, but would he be part of my Exploratory Committee? He agreed. The committee has met, and did all of the exploring they need to do, and a decision has been rendered.
The Turtle will be racing again.













0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home