Monday, January 23, 2006

Some Words Still Ring True

Note: This was the "Thank-you" address I gave on 4/16/05. It's pretty amazing how far I have come, and how far I have to go. I appreciate being able to ride again, and will get back in shape sometime soon. Heck, I plan to compete at some level this year. People ask if the accident changed my life, thinking, motivation etc? No, not really. I do have a different understanding of "quality of life" though, and realize how quickly it can be taken away.



January 30, 2005

Thank-you for sharing this evening with Gina & I.

August 29th, 2004 is a day that I will most likely remember for the rest of my life. Being struck by a car, on a post-race ride was not something that was planned or anticipated, but it happened. Within minutes of the impact, I knew I had two choices. To quote Lance Armstrong, I could either “give up, or fight like hell”. I choose the latter, and that is one of the reasons why I believe I am here today.

Although I was the one involved in the accident, it has affected the lives of hundreds of people, including my wife, family, friends, co-workers, doctors, nurses, physical therapists and others. We gather here tonight to celebrate, and I wanted to thank everyone involved in not only my physical recovery, but emotional and mental as well.

To my friends, family, and co-workers who were by my side on that day with emotional support for Gina & I while I was in surgery, to the visits to the hospital, cards and prayers. To the nurses and medical staff, who stayed into all hours of the night, to answer questions we had about the procedures, and to make sure I was cared for. The team of doctors who performed the operations, and “almost” guaranteed that not only was I going to race again, but also with modern medical technology, I would be the next Lance Armstrong!

I want to thank everyone who took the time to help us, from making our home accessible, to cooking meals, checking in on me in & out of the hospital, helping me with everything from bathing, laundry, assisting around the house, and of course, carting me all over town and lugging the wheelchair. Most of all, thanks for just spending time with me and letting us know you cared.
To my doctors, PA’s, Physical Therapists and nurses, who endured bad jokes and a sometimes-stubborn patient, thanks for going above and beyond the call. I hope I never see you professionally again!

I especially want to thank my wife, Gina. 8 ½ years ago, we made a commitment to each other, and part of the commitment was “for better or for worse”, well, this was a taste of the worst! From the minute she got the “dreaded call” through the entire ordeal, she was there. She never wavered. From the E.R, to the O.R, back to the O.R, then back to the O.R, to recovery, fielding calls, bringing me coffee and breakfast in the hospital, dressing me, caring for me, taking over all of my household duties, trips to the doctor and therapy, and of course, the infamous “patio showers” were always fun! I could not have made it mentally without you. Thank-you Gina for being strong when I could not. We have always made a wonderful team. I love you, and always will.

Have a great time this evening, and remember to always wear your helmet!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home