Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Starting All Over Again!

Well, the material in my cranium which seems to have the density of concrete is finally allowing some information to sink in. I am going to start all over again I guess.

Back in the late 80's, when I moved to Normal, IL. I raced for The South Chicago Wheelmen. I was doing intervals up & down Main Street in Bloomington/Normal, drafting off of cars at 35 mph, and doing sprints around them, when some guy pulls up next to me (at 30 mph) and asks if I would like to race for him? HUH? Well, turns out it was Kevin Neblock, who was forming a racing team out of Champaign, IL called Central Illinois Racing Team, (C.I.R.T) Kevin & I hit it off, and we are still friends to this day. Under Kevin's coaching direction, our cat III team seemed to win about every race we entered, and I went on to win the state citerium and road race title. He also got a teammate of mine, Dave Otto & I to attend the fall session at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO . He knew a little about bike racing and training you could say.

Every fall/winter, we had to ride a track bike on the road, as this develops leg strength, spin technique and all of the other good stuff. I hated the track bike, as it only had one gear, you could not back "spin" peddle, if you stopped quickly you flipped over the bars, and to go fast, you had to spin REALLY fast. I liked pushing HUGE gears, and sprinting in HUGE gears as well. Well, this is not good in the off season, as it really messes with your joints, tendons etc.

Fast forward to 2006. Talked to Kevin a little while ago, and he said for the billionth time since my accident " Girly, you need to start all over like a junior, weights, swimming, and.......TRACK BIKE!" NO road bikes! So, after the past month off the bike, I ordered a track bike to assist in the recovery process.


Hopefully be on the road in the next couple of weeks, if all of these goofy flare-ups subside sometime, and it's less than 100,000 degrees outside.





Also: Floyd is innocent of the charges, I hope. Not only for him, but for the sake of American Cycling.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you get a Waterford Track bike?

11:40 AM  
Blogger Steve Driscoll said...

No, I did not go for the team sponsored bike, and I have a lame excuse. I got a specialized from my local shop, "Little Ade's" who I try to do as much business with as possible. They set me up with a stock compact 50 cm (44cm real size) out the door for a smoking deal. I have bought 9 custom Waterfords in the past 13 years, so I think I am still on their x-mas card list

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home