Saturday, July 29, 2006

Are People THAT Stupid?


Had a rough week, and think I have figured it out. Due to all of the storm activity, my right knee has had flare-up after flare-up after flare-up. I cannot pin it on anything else besides the weather, as I felt good enough to do a pretty decent workout at the gym, after 3 days off, and no storms. I wasn't in the most chatty mood either, or as G says, I was a Crab!



So, I am at the gym this am, and a lady in her mid 50's asks me what happened? I tell her the brief condensed story, and I mention that if I did not have a helmet on, I would be dead as Johnny Cash etc. Well, that opened up a can of worms!

It seems that her & her husband both ride Harley's, and they are "very careful" when they ride. They do not believe in wearing helmets, as it is a freedom of choice to do so or not. I explained that I am careful as well, and ride about 10-12,000 miles per year, but it's the drivers that are not careful. I explained that when you are making yourself vulnerable to being hit by a car, pedestrian etc. the LEAST you can do is:

1. Wear a helmet/protective gear
2. Have adequate medical, life, disability and supplemental insurance
3. Have a full understanding that it is not "IF" you get hit, crash etc. but WHEN! You WILL be involved in an accident, period! Just if you live/die, and how bad will the damage be!

Well, she would hear NONE of that! It's all about freedom, blah, blah, blah. The government is oppressing the citizens with crazy laws like seat belts etc.


Now, keep in mind that the gym I go to is here in Morton, IL. VERY white collar, and on the upper end of income, housing etc. This was not a stupid woman making this argument with me, or so I thought. I guess I was wrong. When will people wake up? When their husband/wife is in a coma, brain dead and they have to make the decision to pull the plug? When the plug is pulled, and they realize that their spouses death could have been prevented with a helmet? When medical, funeral and all of the other bills that insurance doesn't cover that they are on the way to the poor house? I guess I was wrong, people are that stupid!

Do yourself, spouse, children and society a favor, wear a helmet when on your bike/motorcycle. And if you are really that stupid, at least do us all a favor and don't pro-create!

1 Comments:

Blogger David Johnsen said...

As soon as you mentioned Harleys, I knew it was going to be trouble. The anti-helmet motorcycling crowd is rabid, as you experienced. It doesn't make any sense to me, either. I have known enough bicyclists with cracked helmets and intact skulls that I won't even go around the block without a helmet on.

Unfortunately, once people make up their minds about such things, there isn't much you can do to convince them otherwise.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home