Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Sticks & Stones..........

I've been called a lot of things in my life, most of which were accurate, although I have never been called a quitter. I raced the 19th annual Proctor Cycling classic road race this past Saturday in the Cat III category, and finished. 48 mile road race, HOT, WINDY etc. and I got dropped on mile 8, so I plugged on, and between my teammate J-LO and I, we finished together. When they said they changed the course, I failed to realize that the added another 700 feet of climbing per lap. So, for 3 laps that I did, I climbed the equivalent of a 313 story building. Here's the course profile:














Tidbits from the last several days:

Stan, our VQ Godfather asked me Saturday night how I felt? I responded that I felt like I got hit by a train, and could not walk. His response? "You don't listen, do you"? Stan has told me to take it easy, I mean really easy for a long time, recover etc. as I am only doing damage to myself. Well, Stan also knows that you could crack an anvil on my hard head, so NOW I am actually listening.

My dear friend and teammate, Mike Ozment won BOTH the state road race on Saturday, and the state criterium title on Sunday in the 60+ category. OK, put it in perspective here, the guy won BOTH state championships on the same weekend! I told his bride, Lori that whatever she has been feeding him, keep doing it!

Another dear friend and teammate Robert Kron WON the 40+ state criterium title, and THEN proceeds to race the Pro, I, II race the same day, taking 9th place, and 4th in the state. OK, that's an accomplishment in itself (if you're a 20 something bike bum), BUT he's 42 years old, and racing seems to be his only training plan. He's also married, has 3 kids at home and running a business. Whew!

I have come to the conclusion that I need to listen to others re: recovery. Mainly the 3 billion people, including my cycling coaches, doctors, Stan the VQ Godfather, G and the Yoga Nazi, who have been telling me about simple things like water therapy, weight lifting, stretching etc. and how it may speed this atrophy/recovery along. So, I called my old personal trainer, Steve.

We meet tomorrow for a base evaluation, and he can develop a plan from there for me. I think I have proven what I wanted, cycling wise for the year, and I need to think about 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home