Monday, February 20, 2006

Like a surgeon, cutting for the 19th billionth time!

"Steve, if you want to have a good recovery, you have to be a good patient" Kelly Sparks 8/31/04

All dressed up, and no where to go, so I thought. After not eating, drinking, or swallowing saliva for 18+ hours, I was doing OK. I arrived for surgery, had to see my favorite nurse, Nurse Barb (I'm her favorite patient, if you didn't realize that) and like clockwork, 5 minutes later, into the pre-surgery center, go through the admin stuff with my really cool admin nurse, MeMe. Dr. Maxey strolls in, cool as a cucumber, and we start the shuckin & jiving. This is probably pretty routine stuff for him, but I always have to give him a little jab here & there. After a while, I thought, that's pretty stupid. I should do the jabbing AFTER surgery, as he is going to slice me open in a little while, while I am under. What if he "slips" or something........oh well. I am not a member of MENSA for a reason.


Upon arrival to the pre-OR, this is what Dr. Maxey gets from me. I thought it was funny, as I am a funny little man. Mad Max got a kick out of it as well!











Start of surgery. I believe I have been knocked out into la-la land at this point. The best part of surgery, is the 3 seconds right before you "go under".










I was wondering how they get the screws out? Now I know, with a HUGE screwdriver!












Here is the "freebie" I had taken out. Before surgery, Dr. Maxey asked if I wanted to have the screw at my knee cap taken out, as I had some pain, I mean discomfort from it. SURE! was my response. I got a buy-two, get one free deal, only on Friday's!








With the whole screw taken out, Mad Max attacks the broken one. Using a screw to "punch" the broken tip through the other side. Small problem though, as this is where my Shamrock tattoo is. So, as to not disturb the tattoo, he switches to plan B.








With "surgical precision" he diverts the broken screw, around the tattoo, and come out on the outside of the ink! VIOLA!










Tattoo intact, and the hardware removed!












And to think, this little piece of metal, can cause so much discomfort.














Post hardware removal X-Ray! Success, I believe! I now have 3 additional holes in the bone, where the screws came out.









Many Thanks to G, as she was there with me the entire time, making sure I was taken care of throughout the entire weekend as well. Dr. Maxey get a "hats' off" for being a skilled surgeon, and a good sport. Andy "The Sarge" Sargent for listening to bad cycling stories from back in the HeyDay when he used to pummel me on the bike. My friends J-LO and Robert, for helping Gina & I around the house for the weekend, and everyone who has called, well-wished, e-mailed etc. to see how we were doing.

I am feeling OK. Actually, I think with exception of a couple of spells this weekend, I feel better now than BEFORE the surgery, go figure? I, of course didnt listen to Dr. Maxey, and was on my feet most of the weekend, including all day yesterday down at the Tour De Groundhog in Springfield. G put me to bed about 845 last night, after I fell asleep on the sofa.

Hopefully this will close another chapter in my book. Be Good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home