Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Toughest $12 I have Ever Earned!

Did the Proctor Criteriums this last weekend. Entered the 30+ 1,2,3 race and the Cat 3 later that afternoon. The masters race, as they call them is really not a masters race at all. It just happens to be a bunch of cat 1 & 2 riders, who just "happen" to be above 30 years old. Me, being a slightly out of shape, overweight and non-seasoned racing turtle, (as you can see from my most recent photo), have to re-pay my dues to the team by being a super domestique, or laborer as we call them in the construction field.

My buddy Robert, 40 something in age, decided to race in the 30+ field, as Team Mack had no one to contest the 30+ state title, especially me. So, off he went, in a nice break off the front, and I was left to do my job in the field. This included blocking, chasing down any threats to the break, going turtle speed through the turns, taking wide turtle corners etc. just to throw everyone's momentum off. I would up in 11th place for the 30+ field.
Robert got 3rd in the state, and some other teammates collected prize winnings as well. By the time we split the pot of cash, I got my payday. $12.00

Not too bad I think. These gals want a $12.00 minimum wage, which my teammates agree with, so I got the $12.00 I earned.

Cat 3 race was a pretty big field, 80 something guys. Race was hard & fast. Legs pooped out on the final lap, took 34th in the field sprint, which is fine. Had a blast all weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home