Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I Am Tougher Than YOU!

I can even prove it!
(My friend from Texas, who I have never met or spoken to wrote me with the following after this was posted: "Steve, sounds like the title to your Blob should be as follows, I am dumber than you, and I HAVE proved it" oh well, half-empty or half-full is how I see it) Read on.
Last night, on the regular Tuesday night death march/training ride, we started out with 25 mph winds, and grey skies. Storm? Nah! We were joking about how only 7 of us showed up for the ride, about 10 short of the usual. Man, they were going to miss a great ride, too bad for them, huh?
Of course, at the FARTHEST point on the course, the wind stopped, and the sky opened up, like a gigantic faucet. Pounding rain on us like a mini-Katrina.
We went on. I could barely see at this point, rain was pounding my face so hard. Through the hills, "won" the hill sprint (I don't think anyone contested to be honest) and I look down, my quads are turning purple. I guess when the temp. drops 20 degrees, and raining, that happens.
Then came the hail. Peas size at this point, but collecting on the road. We had to pull off and take cover. 5 minutes later, it all stopped. We trekked on. 3 miles later, another massive hail storm, now marble sized, and it hurt. Pull off to take cover again. The hail stopped, and we trudged on, in the pouring rain.
My legs were so stiff, that they would barely turn over. Got done, about a mile out of town, and of course, got a front flat tire, just to add insult to injury. Rode the flat in, and once back to my car, realized I had a rear flat also!
The worst training ride beats the best day in a wheelchair, any day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home