Monday, May 05, 2008

Crazy For Being A Fool!

I did it again. Raced yesterday, not once, but twice. Vernon Hills Grand Prix Criterium. Did the Masters Category 1,2,3 race & the Cat 3 race right afterward.
Fast, furious & tough. 60+ guys on the line, including my buddy Robert, as seen here, relaxing on the line before the start. The Masters, ie: "old guys" are probably the fastest category on the roster, w/ exception of the Pro, 1, 2, which happens to be almost all masters riders anyway?
Robert & I did the race, 20 man break off the front, Robert bridged, we caught the break with a half lap to go, and I finished a very respectable 18th place, with Robert giving me about a full lap lead out. He's tough, like an alligator skin suitcase.
Here's Robert leading me into the slight uphill, 400 meter, into the wind finishing stretch. I now know why they used to call us the "Dynamic Duo" back in the days. Sacrifice for a friend or teammate is never questioned.
Here's The Turtle, at the start/finish, right before the gun went off, paying attention to the officials instructions. The main thing I keyed in on was that they were not going to pull lapped riders, which I thought was cool, because I thought I may be one of them, but was not. After looking at this photo, I kind of look like 161 lbs. of turtle stuffed into a 140 lb. shell.
The 3's race went fine, just slightly slower than the masters race. 60 miles for the day, and almost 2 hours of racing in. Now that's training!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home