Friday, January 19, 2007

Filet Mignon

G & I made the trek yesterday am to see Dr. Watson for the 30 day post surgery visit. I have been feeling pretty good, although I would not expect to not be running marathons at this point. The days get pretty long, and toward the evening, it's all of the energy I have to stay awake in some form of comfort. I think I know what it feels like to be 109 years old now.

I didn't really have high hopes for this visit, as I feel that I have been on a diet of "recovery" dog food for the past 2 years, 5 months & 19 days so to speak, without anyone at least throwing me a bone once & a while. Every doctor visit is some form of: "well, come back & see me in a month or two" or " this will take some time to heal" or something that essentially means that NOTHING is happening down there growth wise. All the while, I go home, try to be positive, keep a good attitude, put a smile on my face and do the right things for myself. After a while, you get sick & tired, of being sick & tired.

Well, Dr. Watson threw me a bone! We did the whole x-ray thing, and instead of films, they are digital, and appear in the patient room on two flat screen monitors. I of course check them out before Dr. Watson comes in, as it seems that I am a self proclaimed expert at this point on x-ray reading. The fibula, which I believe was broken during the procedure is missing a good size chunk. WOW! The tibia? Could not really tell.

Dr. Watson comes in, and we exchange pleasantries, as he is a really nice guy. We examine the x-rays, and viola, the tibia has compressed on the two broken sections about 3mm, and they actually "touch" each other! He explains how this is good, as the front & back will now grow together, and the middle of the bone will fill in over time. I actually thought I was going to cry, right there. I have not heard good news like that in a LONG time, like years?
Here's the front shot. Looks pretty good, with exception of the missing piece of fibula in the lower right corner. (The fibula is the weed of bones, and will grow back very quickly, as it was broken in multiple places during the accident)















And the side view, new titanium rod, screws & OP-1 bone graft installed. He pointed out the op-1 material in the x-ray, and how they brought out the big guns for the grafting procedure. He slipped that my insurance company will probably poop when they see the bill for the material. Oh well.

I have been restricted to: no ho-downs, marathons, power lifting or line dancing at this point, although riding indoors on the trainer & swimming are OK. I did 50 minutes on the bike last night, and will continue with that mixed with some swimming until he states further, next month. Maybe 3-4 more months of recovery to go at this point!

I FINALLY feel like I am off the dog food and on to a medium/medium rare 10 ounce filet mignon dinner! The kind that you don't even need a knife to eat!

Many thank-you's to Dr. Watson for ALL of his care & expertise, and e-mailing me over these x-rays. Pretty cool of him to take time out of his busy schedule to do that for me!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great news!!!! I can not emagine the joy you felt when you heard the news.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve,

I got your filet mignon right here.

Seriously, I am so happy for you and moreso for G who's had to tolerate your ups and downs.

Please know that I pray for you, by name no less, every single day. And I'll continue in that because even after your physical healing, you have all those lifelong mental issues (short-person syndrome, anger issues, etc.) to deal with.

As I write this, Liz is on Sanibel Island and I am preparing to go to the big city and try to convince our new owners that I'm worth keeping.

See you on the other side.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home