Thursday, December 28, 2006

Getting There!

Took last week off of work, kind of. Got off the pain meds towards the end of the week, so I could drive. Probably not the best idea in the world, but I did it anyway. Have been resting, sleeping, and staying elevated to the best I can. What that really means is laying around, watching daytime TV, crutching around every now & then etc.

G has taken excellent care of me, making sure that I stay off my feet, and don't do anything crazy. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the recovery here, so I am listening to Dr. Watson's orders, to a T.

Got to take a "full shower" last night, which means no cast-bag on my left leg. The leg had not been bathed in 12 days, so the odor was a little overwhelming, even after the shower. Full shower also meant a clean shave, around the stitches, over the valley's and through the woods. I felt 100% better after that.



Here's the leg. I think it looks pretty good. The swelling has not been too bad, and the major pain I have is where Dr. Watson broke the fibula.









Here's where Dr. Watson went through the shamrock tattoo, to break the fibula. He skillfully carved through the tattoo, then "stitched" it up with super-glue, to not leave a scar. Pretty thoughtful of him I would say!






Here's the side shot. A little swollen right below the knee cap, where Dr. Watson installed the BMP OP-1 grafting material, where the fracture is.

After some more rest, elevating etc. I should be ready to bear weight on the left leg around mid-January. I remember the last time I went weight bearing, in Dr. Maxey's office, I fell flat on my face.
I forgot that I hadn't walked in about 9 months, and couldn't remember what to do! Sounds stupid, but I actually could not remember how to walk. Plus, I was a little gun shy, so I crutched out of there, and took the next week re-learning how to walk through physical therapy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home