Thursday, March 19, 2009

One Down, 39 to Go

I admit. I am not that smart. Actually, I have done a lot of dumb things in my life. Last Saturday, I did the BN ride from the "New Shop" in town. You know, the shop that CKelly is working at, and has been there for 361 years.

They put on some good rides, and I will do my best to patronize them, and encourage others to do the same. I always try to do as much business I can with the local shop, and no, I don't care if I "pay more" because in the long run, you ALWAYS pay less!

So Saturday am, the boys finagle me into racing the following day in St. Louis. I have about 365 road miles in for the year, and that really works well?! I should have at least 1000 miles in to race, so I said, what the heck? What's the worst thing that happens, I get dropped? Lapped? Pummeled? Wont be the first time. Did a great 48 miles ride with the group, and prepared for the following day.

I called up my Little Bro, The Ikester, and we headed down there. Registered for the Cat 3 race, and hit the line. WOW! 85 starters, and the majority of them looked really fit. Like fast & fit. My goal was to make it for the first 15 minutes, then finish the race, then if all that goes OK, to finish in the top 1/3 rd. of the field. This was going to be a long crit, especially for so early in the season: 60 minutes plus 5 laps! Geez!


The race went fine. Did some power moves, but mainly hung in there, rode wheels and wanted to get my "sea legs" back. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to move around, didn't get too winded, could sprint to the best of my abilities etc. It was a lot of fun, and I felt great afterward as well. I finished in the pack for 27th place, not too bad, as I was not really aggressive in the final 3 laps or so. Wanted to stay up right, and go to work the next day in less than two pieces.

The Ikester rooted me on, as well as Uncle Gary and my Team Mack Teammates. It was a beautiful 70 degree day, perfect!

Me & The Ikester hanging right after the race.



There isn't a camera out there that Uncle Gary doesn't love!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home