Monday, February 23, 2009

Pay Now & Pay Later

Traditionally, when I get snow blowing the driveway, and doing all of my outdoor stuff, like feeding the birds, squirrels, deer, turkey and whatever else we have hanging around the yard, Sam & I take a hike through the yard & forest. Sam loves these hikes, as she sniffs new smells, gets some exercise, and we bond together. This was the case Saturday, after about 3" of snow fell. After the pummeling VQ workout at Coach Stan-O's, I had to do all of the outdoor stuff.



Sam is getting up there in age, like 16 now. She's deaf, pretty much blind, and old. We went out and took our hike, and she enjoyed it as much. When we got done, G took our pic, as it may be the last snow hike we take together. She did her best, but it was taking its toll on her.






OK, not the smartest thing I have done in a while, but I did the 433rd Annual Tour De Groundhog Cross Race a weekend or so ago. I know my doc's told me NOT to do things like this, but I did. And I paid dearly. You see, my friend Pain has been nice to me lately. Just a nudging here & there, nothing too major that I could not handle. The course was a muddy mess, and I figured I walked about 3.5 miles during the race. Afterward and for several days, I was a wreck! Barely walking, and in more pain than I choose. G had little sympathy for me, as it was all self inflicted.

I "raced" meaning that I did some riding, and a LOT of walking, as I can no longer physically run, due to the 4 surgeries performed on my left leg, and part of the tibia/ankle is "dead" from nerve damage. Still managed to pull off a 3rd place podium shot for the masters 30+, and 8th overall from a field of 18. My buddies Robert & BikerDanny raced as well. Robert got 4th in the 40+ while not riding a cross bike in about 35 years, and BikerDanny got a 8th in the Senior Open and 3rd in the Classic, while have never ridden a cross bike before that weekend. Geez! Tone it down boys, you're making The Turtle look bad.



A big thank you to Coach Stan-O and The Badger for lending us their cross rigs for Robert & BikerDanny.




My rig after the race.



BikerDanny after his race









BikerDanny running the mud/slog hill
Quarterly meeting with RV & The VQ Ratz. Lotte, Junior, Dr. Reid, The man with two first names, The Turtle, Coach Stan-O & RV. Badger, V & Bartonville could not attend. Had a great workout, and always good to see RV with the group.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home