Thursday, April 24, 2008

Lost: Sprint, Big Reward

Last Sunday, I decided to race again. I need to get back into race shape, and the only way I have found to do this, besides the grueling Tuesday night ride with the Proctor racing Crew, is to actually race. My "Little Brother" Ike & I headed up to the Cheddar Curtain, the heart of liberal Midwest, Madison Wisconsin. The club up there puts on a series of races throughout the year, which are very well organized & heavily attended. I registered for the Masters 3/4 and the Masters 1/2/3 race.
I guess I forgot how fast these things were, but held my own. Did a lot of attacking in the 3/4 race, was in 3 breaks that went nowhere, as it seems you need to chase your own teammates down, especially when you have like 10 guys in the race (not my team, as I had no teammates)
40 minutes later came the final lap. I knew I had to be in 3rd or 4th position through the 30 mph. final turn to take victory, as it was a 300 meter, UPHILL finish. I needed to suck some wheels going to the line, the blast by them for the "V". I was in perfect position, 4th through the turn, out fo the saddle, and then it happened. I lost my sprint. I mean, I have NO sprint, none, not a shred. I lost 8 places, and took 12th. Back in the day, I could have come from 20th place, and out kicked all of them, but no more. 3+ years on & off the bike will do that to you I guess. I need to be working on that on the Tuesday night rides, and get it back this season. I figure I cant climb a hill, cant time trial, and now if I cant sprint? I am looking for it, but for this weekend it was lost.
Here's the Super Ikester. He was a great traveling companion and supporter. He hung out, watched some movies, organized my vehicle for the trip home, and we had a blast. If you ever need your phone or other electronic device figured out, call a 12 year old, they know way more than us "old guys" do!

Second race, the 1/2/3 field was stacked. 80+ guys, and my goal was to finish, which I did. It was an hour + of pain, as I had spent some bullets from the first race. My buddy & teammate Robert joined in, as he needed some miles as well. The race was fast, a break of 8 went off the front and stayed there. People tried some moves, which went no where, and the field sprinted at the end. I was in about 15th through the final turn, and wound up 36th overall I believe. Once again, the sprint disappeared, Nada, no where to be found. Oh well, I am trying at least.
Here's Robert, Danny & myself after the racing. Tired, hungry and packing up for the 3:15 drive home. 60 miles for the day, and 48 miles worth of crit racing. Not too bad for April. If anyone comes across my sprint, please let me know. I have a HUGE reward for you!








1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home