Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cannibal Badgers

Back in the swing of things here. Doing some riding, stretching etc. Planning on racing this Saturday down in St. Louis. After the Hillsboro race, I felt like I got hit by a car. Oh wait, I DID get hit by a car, so maybe it felt like I got hit by a tricycle. Took a few days to re-coup from that epic ride.

OK, epic rides. D. Bratton from Team Mack puts together a ride every spring called "Darrell's Excellent Adventure" ie: "Hannibal the Cannibal" out of Hannibal, MO. This is an out & back, 70 mile ride "through the hills". I drove the sag car last year, as I was still in a cast and walking with a cane, so no riding for me. The ride is through the hills.

Did I mention there are hills? We went out with a group of about 25 of us, leaving from one of our team sponsors house, Dr. Burton of Midwest Orthopedics.

Well, I can tell you, there are hills in them thar hills. After the first 17 miles, I mentioned to the "A" group, that these were tough, and I hope that's the worst of it. The response? Smiles, and something to the effect of "Steve, you haven't seen hills yet"

Oh Boy. I think I am in trouble. Needless to say, I backed off from there. Paced myself, and did just fine. The final twist of the ride was the turn off into Lovers Leap, a 2 block, 17% grade climb, which is barely walkable, less rideable. Needless to say, I dug into my suitcase of courage, after 68 miles of hills, and did it. Whew!

Badger Update: Well, since 4/1, The Badger has been M.I.A. Oh, he says he has been on a business trip, vacationing somewhere warm, visiting relatives at The Badger Den etc. All I know
is that he has NOT "badgered" up on his bet that I am aware of. I think he's afraid to come back to Central Illinois, head hung low, defeated by The Turtle.

I spoke to him the other day on the phone, and he mentioned his whereabouts, somewhere on the east coast. I promptly called the town where he will be staying, and informed them that there will be a rabid badger visiting soon, and they need to inform the town folk. To be aware & all, just in case he goes wild or something.


Hey, I figured that if he's not going to "badger" up on his bets, I can harass him until he does!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home